On Sunday I can begin renegotiating the contract with my taste buds so they can get back to work. In other words, I’ll be done with this 21-day ordeal and can slowly reintroduce blessed flavors like cheese and chocolate to my depressed, deprived palate. Although painful at times, it’s been an interesting educational experience and I thought I’d share some of what’ve learned over the last 3 weeks:
1) I actually can survive without Diet Coke (who knew?)
2) I really like asparagus
3) Salmon is more affordable than I thought
4) Water really needs lemon to make it palatable in large quantities
5) Salads without cheese and/or bacon and/or croutons and/or decent dressing are not worth the trouble of making or eating
6) Chicken fajitas minus tortillas, cheese, & sour cream are surprisingly delicious
7) I’m not as addicted to chocolate as I thought
8 ) Carmelized onions can make almost—almost—anything taste better
9) I still don’t like blackberries
10) Successfully cooking spaghetti squash is clearly beyond my capabilities
11) I can be quite content with very small meals
12) Broccoli roasted with olive oil & garlic trumps the steamed kind w/butter & lemon juice
13) Lack of any good-tasting food makes me really depressed
14) I can pass up the “wrong” foods when I determine to do so
15) I need to eat more shrimp; it’s easy to fix, yummy, and not that expensive
16) There’s a limit to what you can do with leeks
17) My subconscious really loves pizza; it dreams about it when I’m sleeping.
18 ) Chicken piccata is a keeper
19) Ditto teriyaki salmon
20) I’ll never be a vegetarian unless forced to by a world-wide meat shortage
21) I’m not a big fan of smoothies, no matter how “healthy” they are
22) When I can’t eat anything that tastes good I think about food way too much
23) When I have yummy food available (or scheduled) I don’t think about food much at all
24) Most of the fun of baking is the creating not the eating
25) Food really should taste good—otherwise, what’s the point?
So. Was it worth it? Yes, I do believe it was.
Am I glad it’s almost over? Whoo baby.
Up next week…my amazingly moist and delicious chocolate cherry cake recipe. Because a girl’s gotta celebrate Black Saturday somehow. (FYI, that’s Valentine’s Day for those of you with significant others.)